Wednesday, September 27, 2017

3D Image Conversion - Trinity

We are gonna use DMAG4 to semi-automatically convert a 2d image (still from "The Matrix" movie) into 3d via a depth map.


This is the 2d image superimposed with the "edge image" and the sparse depth map.

The "edge image" is simply a red trace (1 pixel wide) over the object boundaries. It takes about 5 minutes to do with the "Paths Tool". The "edge image" indicates depth changes and drastically simplifies the task of the dense depth map generator DMAG4. In the sparse depth map, I make use of the "Gradient Tool" when I need to establish depths along a slanted plane, here, along ground and gun. Otherwise, I just use the "Pencil Tool" ... very sparingly. I don't have to use the pencil much because of the presence of the "edge image".


Dense depth map obtained by DMAG4.

I used the following parameters for DMAG4:
beta = 10
maxiter = 5000
scale_nbr = 1
con_level = 1
con_level2 = 1

Note the beta I am using. It's rather small. This makes DMAG4 kinda like an isotropic diffuser (of depths).


Wobble gif obtained with wigglemaker.

In wigglemaker, I chose "None" for inpainting method. I think it works best. Let me know if you don't think so! If you insist on relatively proper inpainting, it's probably a good idea to reduce the camera offset.

No comments:

Post a Comment