Monday, October 19, 2015

2D to 3D Conversion - Jackie and JFK 1959


I got this nice 2d photo from Reddit's Old School Cool sub-reddit. No idea who the photographer is but I am claiming use fair use to demonstrate the use of Depth Map Automatic Generator 4 (DMAG4), the premier semi-automatic 2d to 3d image conversion program for windows pc.


This is my first attempt at a sparse depth map.


This is the corresponding depth map as obtained by DMAG4. We can do better.


This is my second attempt at a sparse depth map. To refine the depths, I use the "free select tool" to select rectangular regions and then the "blend" tool to fill them. This kinda establish a nice gradient of depths from which I can work using the "color picker tool".


This is the corresponding depth map as obtained by DMAG4. We can do better.


This is my third attempt at a sparse depth map. I just continue refining the depth scribbles.


This is the corresponding depth map as obtained by DMAG4. We can do better.


This is my fourth attempt at a sparse depth map. I just continue refining the depth scribbles.


This is the corresponding depth map as obtained by DMAG4. I think I am gonna stop here as far scribbling the sparse depth map and running DMAG4. Now is a good time to apply some edge preserving smoothing with Edge Preserving Smoothing 5 (EPS5).


This is the smoothed depth map. It's finally time to create a 3d wiggle with Wiggle Maker.


This is the animated gif (3d wiggle) as produced by Wiggle Maker.

If you want to generate an anaglyph (or other things like a crosseyed view) out of the 2d image and the depth map, mi buen amigo Pepe Baeza recommends using 2to3, a totally free pc windows program. It seems to work ok although anytime I press the preview buttons, it crashes on me. If you press the "save" buttons, it works just fine and as advertised.


This is the anaglyph I got from 2to3. Unfortunately, you do need those fancy red/cyan glasses to see one of those.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ugo, I use Wine to run 2to3 on Linux and is perfect,
    you've tried to compatibility with Windows XP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no i haven't tried but thats probably why i am having problems.

      Delete